Saturday, July 4, 2009

Crock Pot Pulled Pork

This is a favorite at our house! I make it at least once a month. One thing I love about it is that once we've had dinner (and stopped picking at it, lol), I freeze the rest in single serving sizes and then I can just heat it in the microwave for lunch. Mmmm. My secret? Root beer!


1 (2 pound) pork roast, any cut
2 cans root beer (not diet)
around 18 oz honey barbecue sauce (or barbecue sauce of your choice)
8 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
salt
pepper
garlic salt
dried minced onions
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 clove garlic, minced
Montreal steak seasoning
worcestershire sauce
brown sugar (if desired)

I admit I don't measure much of anything in this recipe, so I will just try to do my best to describe this to you.

The night before you cook this, mix the onion soup mix, garlic, Montreal steak seasoning, and worcestershire sauce. Marinate the pork in this overnight.

Then the next morning, poke holes all over the roast with a fork, then rub the roast all over with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Place in the crock pot.

Mix 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce into the root beer and pour into the crock pot. Add a handful or two or dried minced onions. Then drizzle a little more barbecue sauce over the pork. Cover and let cook on low for 5 hours.

Turn the pork over, drizzle with some more sauce, and add another handful or two of onions. Cover, and cook on low for another 5 hours.

Remove the roast and let it cool slightly so you can shred it. Mix in the rest of the barbeque sauce, whatever juices left in the crock pot that you want, and a little more salt if needed. I like my barbecue sauce on the sweet side, so I add a loose handful of brown sugar or two. Drain the liquid you aren't using, and add the meat back to the crock pot to keep warm until you are ready to serve it on lightly toasted hamburger buns.

You won't see it in the picture, since it was taken of a sandwich I made for my lunch today from the leftovers. But, if you really want to take this over the top, slice an onion, and sautee it in some root beer and a handful or two of brown sugar until caramelized. Yummy!

I served this with corn on the cob, homemade baked french fries, and green salad.

No comments: