Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Comfort of Chocolaty, Chewy Goodness

I try to take care of my body as much as possible. I eat good things, try to exercise as much as I'm able to, and try to keep the junk to a minimum. But sometimes, life throws you a day that requires the comfort of only one thing. Chocolate. Preferably, chewy chocolate of some form or another. Usually a day like that calls for brownies. But it's been hot here lately, and I have no desire to heat this place up any more than it already is. So, today I settled on chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies. You CAN cook the chocolate mixture on the stove. But that would also heat up the house. So, I decided to use my microwave for these.

1 1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
a pinch of salt
3 cups quick oats
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (smooth peanut butter is a mortal sin around this house!)
1 tsp vanilla

Place sugar, cocoa, butter, milk, and salt in a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 3 1/2 minutes. Stir until just combined. Microwave, again, on high for 3 1/2 minutes.

Add oats, peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until just combined.

Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto wax paper and allow to cool. You will have chocolaty, chewy deliciousness faster if you allow them to cool in the fridge! :)

I have found the secret to perfect no bakes, lies partly in not stirring too much. If you over stir, you will end up with dry, chalky cookies. :P You don't want that. So stir just until combined and everything that should be melted is, in fact, melted. And then STOP!

Don't forget to leave yourself some of the chocolaty, oaty goodness in the bowl to enjoy warm, away from the kids in a locked room! :D Enjoy!

No comments: